South Country Co-op is recruiting for the position of Vice-President, Operations at our Corporate Office in Medicine Hat, Alberta. This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
The Vice-President of Operations under the direction of the CEO, is responsible for leading the strategic direction, and management of operations for all commodities, including Agro, Petroleum, Food, Pharmacy, and Liquor within the scope of the company's values and mission, with special emphasis on a strategy for growth. This position identifies key opportunities, develops and implements new business strategies, while creating and improving processes and procedures to improve retail operations, performance, and profitability. Provides leadership to multiple functions and commodities, including the management of the operating budget, maintenance of buildings, and oversight of leasing operations.
The successful candidate will be responsible to:
• Oversee and maximize the performance of all members of the operations for all retail commodities (ex. Agro, Petroleum, Food, Pharmacy, and Liquor) within the scope of the company's values and mission.
• Be a key participant in developing corporate strategies and create/improve processes and procedures to improve retail operations, performance, and profitability.
• Be a key participant in leading the development/management of the operating budget in alignment with the strategic direction of the retail.
• Collaborate with the CEO to identify key opportunities to expand the consumer commodities through acquisitions or development
• Provide leadership and guidance in the development and implementation of direct retail policies (approved by the Board) to employees and ensure compliance is met
• Be a key strategic participant in supporting the development and promote compliance with the retail’s short and long-term goals and overall corporate objectives
• Provide a strategic mindset and direction in identifying external pressures in the market and develop a responsive plan regarding advancements in image, store ambiance, fixtures, equipment/technology, and industry metrics and trends
• Oversee and maximize the Marketing function and ensure programs are developed to increase market share, improve retail profitability, and leverage marketing programs established by Federated Co-operatives Limited (FCL)
• Provide leadership, coaching, and guidance to staff. Direct reports include Operations Managers and Marketing & Community Relations, to ensure an effective succession plan is in place for key positions, and build a culture of accountability, collaboration, and engagement.
• Be a liaison and public relations representative for the Co-op within the communities we serve, by delivering world-class customer service that is fast, friendly and efficient
• Degree in business, operations management, or related field. MBA is an asset.
• 10+ years of progressive relevant experience in the agriculture industry, including experience at a senior management level. Experience in a retail consumer industry is an asset.
• Strong business acumen and understanding of the financial aspects of running the business, as well as a thorough understanding of operations, marketing, human resources, and administration
• Effective leadership skills, with a strong focus on employee engagement, operations, and business processes.
• A clear and solid understanding of personnel policies, practices, and procedures and other operational issues faced by the organization.
• Ability to identify issues and implement creative and strategic solutions to overcome problems
• Strong communication skills, both oral and written, are required
South Country Co-op offers a competitive salary and benefits package including matched pension contributions. Advancement opportunities abound in the Co-operative Retailing System, and we encourage ongoing professional development along with reimbursement for post-secondary course work.
Please submit by December 20, 2019 a detailed resume and cover letter in confidence to:
Human Resources Manager